Authentic Beef Rendang
Origin: Minangkabau Land – West Sumatra
Source: Filmawati, a friend as well as ex Colleague
- 1 kg beef, topside or silverside, diced about 3 cm on a side
- 2 stem lemon grass, bruished, cut into two pieces
- 1 pc fresh turmeric leaf (if any)
- 2 tbsp tamarind water (1 tsp tamarind pulp soak in 2 tbsp water
- 5 pc kaffir-lime leaves
- 2 l thick coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
Spice for the paste
- 250 g large red chillies, de-seeded, chopped
- 10 pc shallots, chopped
- 5 gloves garlic, chopped
- 25 g galangale, peeled and chopped
- 25 g ginger, peeled, chopped
for Beef Rendang
- Put all ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor.
- Add 50 ml coconut milk to help the blending process and blend until smooth.
- Put the beef and spice paste into a Wok or a large saucepan (minimum capacity 4 liters).
- Pour in the coconut milk, add the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and turmeric leaves. Stir to mix.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the coconut milk get boiled.
- Adjust the heat into medium and simmer for 1.5 hours uncovered until the coconut milk becomes thicker and oily. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the tamarind water and salt to taste. (Note: If you like to eat it with sauce you can stop the cooking now. This dish is called: Kalio /Wet Rendang)
- If you like to eat it as rendang then continue cooking on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Cook until the coconut milk is driven off and the beef and sauce becomes brown and almost dry. (At this stage you will probably need to stir all the time to prevent burning)
- Serve hot with rice and "Minangkabau Green Sambal".
Note & Tips
- Many Indonesians prefer a black colour rendang. To get this kind of rendang you need to add roasted grated coconut which's smoothly blended.
- I personally prefer to stop the cooking earlier to reserve it's thick delicates sauce as you see in the pic 🙂
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari