Beef Satay Maranggi
Origin: Purwakarta, West Java Island
- 500 g sirloin or rump steak, diced (2cm each side)
- 3 tbsp Indonesian sweet soya sauce / kecap manis
- 20 pc bamboo skewers
Spices for the paste
- 6 pc asian shallots or 3 pcs french shallots
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1 tbsp 1 heaped tbsp roasted coriander or 1 heaped tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp, soak with 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 pc large red chillies
- small red chillies, chopped
- 1 pc tomato, chopped
- 1 pc shallot, sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp Indonesian sweet soya sauce / kecap manis (optional
- salt or to taste
Beef Satay Maranggi
Originated in Indonesia, satay is a widely renowned in almost all regions of the country and is getting more popular arround the world. It is considered to be a national dish and one of Indonesia's best dishes. In Indonesia, satay can be obtained from a travelling satay vendor, from a street-side tent-restaurant, in an upper-class restaurants, or during traditional celebration feasts.If common Indonesian Satay are mostly made from chicken or lamb fillet, Satay Maranggi is one exception which made from beef meat. Sate Maranggi is also one of the 30 Indonesian Culinary Icons. It is a good choice for whom doesn't keen of Lamb meat ;-). It is usually served with either with peanut sauce or "Sambal Kecap", an Indonesian relish made from sweet soy sauce, chilli, sliced shallots and diced tomatoes. Eventhough most of indonesian satay sauce are made from peanut paste as basic ingredient, however seasonings or spice will vary slightly by region.The main characteristic of Satay Maranggi is the composition of shallots, garlic, coriander & palm sugar for marinating ingredients. This is also one of my family choice of many Indonesian Satay's version. The combination of Garlic, Coriander, Palm Sugar and a tamarind juice tastes just perfect 😉For you who are keen of Indonesian Satays, you can also try "Satay Ayam Jawa".Tips: Soak the bamboo skewer in a cold water for about 30 minutes before using to prevent burning during grilling process.
- For Satay: Cut the beef into dice. Put into a bowl.
- Prepare the ingredients for the paste, cut in smaller pieces if necessary.
- For Satay Marinade: Put all ingredients for the paste in a blender. Add small amount of fried oil if necessary.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl, stirr to mix.
- Add kecap manis, stirr to mix.
- For Satay: Put about 4 – 5 cubes of beef satay on each bamboo skewer. Put in a container & keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- Grill the sate skewers on charcoal or under electric / gas grill /pan grill.
- Turn them over to grill the other side until both sides half / well cooked as you prefer. Lift.
- Prepare the garnish & serve it right away while hot with rice.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari