Chicken Satay Recipe
Origin: Java Island
- 500 g chicken fillet, cut into 2 x 1 x 0.5 cm
- 2 tbsp oil or melted butter
- 15 pc bamboo skewers
Spice for the paste
- 6 pc shallots
- 4 gloves garlic
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin o or 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cm roasted turmeric or 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
For peanut sauce
- 2 pc large red chillies, de-seeded, boiled
- 4 pc small red chillies, boiled (optional)
- 1 gloves garlic, boiled
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100 g roasted peanut, blended or Pindakaas
- 50 ml hot water
- 3 tbsp Indonesian sweet soya sauce / kecap manis
- salt to taste
Chicken Satay Recipe
- For Satay Marinade: Blend all ingredients for the spice paste in a food processor until smooth.
- For Satay: Put about 4 – 5 cubes of chicken meat on each bamboo skewer. Put aside.
- Rub the spice paste / sate marinade on the satays evenly. Let stand or store in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- For Peanut Sauce: Blend all ingredients for the sauce in a food processor until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit hot water to help the blending process).
- Put in a saucepan & add the peanut powder or pindakaas. Add the hot water & kecap manis. Stir to mix.
- Adjust the taste, add salt to taste. (Warm up the sauce over a low heat before serving if necessary).
- Grill the satays on charcoal or under electric / gas grill. Turn them over to grill the other side until both sides half / well cooked as you prefer.
- Serve hot with peanut sauce. Garnish with chopped bird chillies and shallots if you like it SPICY!
Notes & Tipps
- If using raw peanut: Fry or roast the peanut in a hot wok until brown then blend in a blender into a smooth powder.
- If you prefer a short cut method by using Pindakaas ( Dutch peanut butter), you can use it right away.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari