Origin: Java Island
- 750 gr chicken, cut in pieces
- 3 tsp lime juice (if needed)
- oil for deep-frying
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cm fresh turmeric or 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander or 1/2 tsp ground coriande
- 2 tsp salt
- 75 ml cold water
This is the simplest recipe of Javanese Fried Chicken or Ayam Goreng, one of my family's favourite side dish!!I've made it countless times since I started to cook until present. Since I was still living in my parent's house till I live abroad now in Germany 😉In fact, this the basic recipe for almost all deep fried side dishes in javanese households. The spices contains of 4 ingredients : garlic, coriander, turmeric and salt. You can use this basic spices to make any deep-fried side dish as you wish : chicken, fish, squid, shrimps etc. The cooking process is also simple and doesn't require a special cooking skill. Anyone can do :- )Honestly I make it often especially when I don't have really time and space to cook something complicated ;-). A quick cooking but taste yummy ;-).Tipp: Cut the chicken into a smaller serving portions to ensure that the spice mixture is well absorbed & the chicken will be crunchy on the outside.
- Cut the chicken in serving portions, wash and if necessary, rub around with lime juice to get rid of excessive fat. Prick it with a fork to allow a better marinating process.
- For marinating: Grind garlic, koriander, turmeric and salt in a mortar / grinding stone and grind until smooth.
- Add 75 ml cold water. Stir to mix. Try the taste & add more salt if necessary. This step is necessary to get the optimum taste/saltiness.
- Soak the chicken in the mixture one by one with your hand. Make sure all sides are well soaked.
- Put aside for 15 minutes in a fridge to allow the marinating process.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan & deep-fry the chicken until crispy-golden brown.
- Turn it over until all sides are well cooked and crispy.
- Set aside to drain or pat dry with kitchen paper. (If preferred, deep-fry the chicken in a Fritteuse to 375°F (190°C) for about 4-5 minutes).
- Serve hot with Tamarind Soup, sambal & raw vegetables or Stir Fried Water Spinach or any stir fried vegetables dishes.