Rice Porridge With Chicken Soup
Origin: Java Island
- 250 gr long grain white rice (NOT glutionous rice), soak in cold water for 2 hours, set aside to drain
- 1 l water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
For the Chicken Soup
- 750 gr chicken breast
- 1½ l water
- 2 pc salam or bay leaves
- 2 pc kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stem lemon grass, outer leaves discarded, bruished
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder (if preferred)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- sugar to taste
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
Spice Ingredients for the Soup
- 6 pc shallots, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 1 cm turmeric or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 pc candlenuts, roughly chopped or crashed
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds or 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp pepper or 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- spring onions, finely sliced
- flat pasrley, finely chopped
- fried soya beans or fried peanuts (optional)
- sambal if you like it spicy
Rice Porrige with Chicken Soup
Here again … one of the most popular street foods of Indonesia: Bubur Ayam. It serves during the breakfast time…warm and perfect to prepare our Indonesian stomach for a long busy day ;-). This special porridge has become popular nowdays since more and more hotels put it on their breakfast menus, beside Nasi Goreng 😉Important tips to prepare this porridge: Soaked the rice 2 hours prior to cooking, this way you will save the cooking time as well as energy.
- Making Rice Porridge: Put the rice in a bowl with enough water. Soak for abour 2 hours. Wash & drain.
- Transfer the rice into the saucepan, add 1 liter cold water and salt.
- Cook on medium heat and bring to boil. Continue to cook until the rice getting soft and becomes thicken. Stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the taste. If necessary add the salt. Remove from heat.
Making the Chicken Soup
- Boil 1.5 liter water in a big saucepan. *** Adjust the heat into medium. Add the chicken pieces and cook until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside and let it cool.
- Remove the excessive flat from the stock, run it through kitchen sieve if nesessary to obtain clear stock.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred or slice the chicken into strips/small pieces, put back into the stock.
- Put all ingredients for the paste in a grinder or food processor and blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a Wok or big saucepan. (Don't add oil if already added in a grinder). Stir fry the paste, lemon grass, kaffir-lime leaf and bay leaf.
- Stirring all the time until well cooked & fragrant (it takes about 3-5 minutes). Note: The candlenuts have caused a bit stickiness on the paste, be patient while sauteeing 😉
- Add the paste into the chicken's pan. Cook over medium heat and bring to boil. Add the lime juice
- Adjust the seasoning, add salt or sugar if necesary. Keep the soup piping hot on the stove.
- Put the rice porridge on a deep plate. Laddle the chicken soup over it. Add the slice spring onions and falt parsley on the top. Garnish with fried shallots/onions and fried peanuts. Serve sambal separately for chilli lover.
- *** Add the chicken into boiled water then cook on the medium heat to preserve it's best taste. The porridge can be served cold but the soup should always be served piping hot.