Origin: Medan, North Sumatra
- 250 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 pc eggs, lightly beaten
- 500 ml thin coconut milk or cold water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
Roti Jala or Lacy Pancake is a special food originating from Malay people in North Sumatra or commonly called as Melayu Deli. Usually this food is served with curry sauce. In Deli, Roti Jala is served with lamb/mutton curry and pineapple pickles. According to humanist M Muhar Omtatok, Roti Jala is a Malay food that can be adapted from Indian influence.Roti jala also can be found in Riau Islands and commonly called "Roti Kirai". (Source: Wikipedia). In Medan Roti Jala is mainly served with "Lamb Curry".
- Beat the eggs with a little coconut milk or water (if used).
- Add the coconut milk & flour. Whisk until you get the smooth batter. If you have one, please use a stick mixer as mine, it's faster & easier to perform smooth batter.
- Add melted butter, mix throughly.
- Put a non stick pan or skillet (diameter 20 cm/8 inches) over low heat and lightly grease with small amount of butter.
- Transfer the butter into a special roti jala cup to help you make roti jala easily. But you can also make it without the cup as I explain in the special tips below.
- Pour out some batter onto the pan, move & turn the cup in countinous series of circle or elipe shapes. You can vary or experiment the motive as you wish.
- In countinous series of circle or elipe shapes.
- Leave to cook about 2 minutes. No need to flip it over. The consistency of batter is right when the pancake is soft & forms a thin lace pattern that unbrokenly connected.
- Continue until all the batter used up.
- Serving Method: Place a pancake in a flat surface or plate.
- Fold over the left and the right side simetrically.
- Then roll it up to form a tube/silinder.
- Proceed all the pancake until finished. It makes about 20 pancakes. Serve right away with "Lamb/Mutton Curry".
- You can make the batter with milk or water depends on your taste & preference. My opinion is milk's base batter tend to be soft & moist. You can also subtitute coconut milk with canned evaporated milk for convenience.
- If you don't have special cup for making Roti Jala, transfer the batter into a plastic bag, make a small hole by cutting one of the edges, then pour the batter on to the pan by moving & turning the bag continously to perforn a lace pattern.
- Be careful with the cooking temperature, too high temperature/heat will make a hard/dry pancake & easily broken.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari