Origin: Medan, North Sumatra
- 250 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 pc eggs, lightly beaten
- 500 ml thin coconut milk or cold water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Beat the eggs with a little coconut milk or water (if used).
- Add the coconut milk & flour. Whisk until you get the smooth batter. If you have one, please use a stick mixer as mine, it's faster & easier to perform smooth batter.
- Add melted butter, mix throughly.
- Put a non stick pan or skillet (diameter 20 cm/8 inches) over low heat and lightly grease with small amount of butter.
- Transfer the butter into a special roti jala cup to help you make roti jala easily. But you can also make it without the cup as I explain in the special tips below.
- Pour out some batter onto the pan, move & turn the cup in countinous series of circle or elipe shapes. You can vary or experiment the motive as you wish.
- In countinous series of circle or elipe shapes.
- Leave to cook about 2 minutes. No need to flip it over. The consistency of batter is right when the pancake is soft & forms a thin lace pattern that unbrokenly connected.
- Continue until all the batter used up.
- Serving Method: Place a pancake in a flat surface or plate.
- Fold over the left and the right side simetrically.
- Then roll it up to form a tube/silinder.
- Proceed all the pancake until finished. It makes about 20 pancakes. Serve right away with "Lamb/Mutton Curry".
- You can make the batter with milk or water depends on your taste & preference. My opinion is milk's base batter tend to be soft & moist. You can also subtitute coconut milk with canned evaporated milk for convenience.
- If you don't have special cup for making Roti Jala, transfer the batter into a plastic bag, make a small hole by cutting one of the edges, then pour the batter on to the pan by moving & turning the bag continously to perforn a lace pattern.
- Be careful with the cooking temperature, too high temperature/heat will make a hard/dry pancake & easily broken.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari