Fried Papaya Leaves & Anchovies
- 500 g young papaya leaves (replace with savoy / Wirsing if not available)
- 100 g anchovies (any kind)
- 2 pc large green chillies, or large red chillies, finely sliced
- 5-10 pc small red chillies/bird's eye chillies, finely sliced/chopped
- 5 pc shallots, finely sliced
- 3 gloves garlic, finely sliced
- ½ tsp roasted dried shrimp paste / terasi
- 1 cm galangale, sliced or bruised
- 2 pc salam or bay leaves
- ½ tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- vegetable oil
Stir-Fried Papaya Leaves & Anchovies
- Discard the hard ribs of papaya/savoy leaves, add salt and squeeeze with your hand until they are soft (Tip: This is to reduce bitterness and preserve the green colour after blanching and boiling). Rinse with cold water.
- Boil enough water, wait until it boils, add 1 teaspoon of salt and add the papaya (savoy) leaves.
- Blanch the papaya/savoy leaves for about 5-7 minutes until it's done but still crunchy. Check occationally.
- Discard the boiling water and rinse with cold water immediately to stop cooking process.
- Squeeze out excess water and slice the leaves against the fibers. Put aside.
- Peel of and slice/chop all ingredients for the seasoning: shallot, garlic and chillies.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a fryingpan, saute shallot, garlic and chillis until translucent & fragrant.
- Add a bit salt immediately if the chilli's fumes causes you coughing uncontrollably. Stir continuously until well cooked.
- Add blanched papaya/savoy leaves, stir to mix.
- Add shrimp paste (disolve with a bit water if necessary), stir to mix.
- Add salt & sugar to adjust the taste. Remove from heat.
- Heat about 4 tbsp oil, fried anchovies until golden brown. Set aside to drain.
- Add the fried anchovies onto stir-fried papaya/savoy leaves and stir to mix. Serve hot with rice as side dish.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari