Sweet & Sour Crab
- 1 kg swimming crabs, halved
- 500 ml hot water
- 100 ml tomato sauce / tomato puree
- ½ pc large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juic
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 2 pc spring onions, cut in 2 cm lengt
- 1 tsp chicken broth powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour, mix with 2 tbsp cold water
- 1½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar to taste
Spice for the paste
- 2 pc large red chillies, de-seeded, chopped
- ½ pc large onion, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, peel-off, chopped
Sweet & Sour Crab
Sweet & Sour Crab….my favourite food of a lifetime ha ha ;-). Honestly I will never get enough with this delicious food! I remember as I was still working in a one of Multinational Companies in Batam Island, many years back.. I used to order this dish when I had an Outing Lunch or Dinner with some colleagues & all expatriates, generally after we'd successfully completing a specific project. In fact Seafood Restaurant is one of Batam Island's Highlights, especially in coastal areas. Though in my opinion.. sometimes it's overpriced for what they offer!!!Strangely enough, here in Germany where the swimming crabs is imported from Asia, the price is still cheaper compare to Indonesia. Of course fresh swimming crab is not easy to buy here in the west but the frozen package are available at most Asian stores. And they do good enough as well as the fresh one. So for you who are Seafood Lovers, have a nice try & enjoy your delicious Indonesian Sweet & Sour Crabs 😉 !!
- If you use fresh swimming crabs : clean under the running water, cut in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- If you use the frozen one, they are already cut in pieces. Just clean under running water & set aside.
- Put all ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Chop the other half of the onion finely. Put aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a Wok or big saucepan. (Don't add oil if already added in a blender). Stir fry the paste & chopped onion. Stirring all the time until well cooked & fragrant.
- Add the crabs and stir to mix. Cook until the crabs turns it's colour. (It becomes orange or red).
- Pour in the hot water, bring to boil over medium heat & cook until the crab's meat is well cooked.
- Add the tomate sauce, chilli sauce, pepper, chicken broth powder, lime juice, salt & sugar.
- Add the cornstarch mixture, stir quickly until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Push the crabs in the edge of the pan, add the beaten egg direct into the liquid, stir to mix quickly.
- Adjust the seasoning, add salt or sugar if necessary. Add the spring onions, cook for short only.
- Put on the serving plate and serve while hot.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari