Sweet & Sour Crab
- 1 kg swimming crabs, halved
- 500 ml hot water
- 100 ml tomato sauce / tomato puree
- ½ pc large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juic
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 2 pc spring onions, cut in 2 cm lengt
- 1 tsp chicken broth powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour, mix with 2 tbsp cold water
- 1½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar to taste
Spice for the paste
- 2 pc large red chillies, de-seeded, chopped
- ½ pc large onion, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, peel-off, chopped
Sweet & Sour Crab
- If you use fresh swimming crabs : clean under the running water, cut in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- If you use the frozen one, they are already cut in pieces. Just clean under running water & set aside.
- Put all ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Chop the other half of the onion finely. Put aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a Wok or big saucepan. (Don't add oil if already added in a blender). Stir fry the paste & chopped onion. Stirring all the time until well cooked & fragrant.
- Add the crabs and stir to mix. Cook until the crabs turns it's colour. (It becomes orange or red).
- Pour in the hot water, bring to boil over medium heat & cook until the crab's meat is well cooked.
- Add the tomate sauce, chilli sauce, pepper, chicken broth powder, lime juice, salt & sugar.
- Add the cornstarch mixture, stir quickly until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Push the crabs in the edge of the pan, add the beaten egg direct into the liquid, stir to mix quickly.
- Adjust the seasoning, add salt or sugar if necessary. Add the spring onions, cook for short only.
- Put on the serving plate and serve while hot.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari