Anchovies Fried Rice
Origin: Indonesia by Chinese Immigrants Influence
- 250 g cold cooked rice
- 25 g baby anchovies or normal anchovies, deep fried
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 1 pc spring onions, slice, separate between white & green leaves
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 1 pc carrot, chop in small dice
- pak choy or choy sum or china cabbage or any vegetables you choose, raughly sliced
- 2 tsp maggi seasoning (german:Maggi Wuerze
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 sdt chicken broth powder (I use Knorr)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- butter or margarine for frying
- cucumber sliced
- fried onions or shallots
Anchovies Fried Rice
for Anchovies Fried Rice
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a small frying pan and deep fry the anchovies/baby anchovies.
- Stir the anchovies until well cooked (golden brown).
- Remove from heat and put aside to drain.
- Chop the onion and slice the white part of spring onion.
- Dice the carrot, and slice the pak choy/china cabbage/coy sum or any vegetables you use. Put aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter or margarine in a wok over medium until it melted.
- Add the chopped onion and sliced white spring onion. Sautee the onions and stir all the time until fragrant & smell good.
- Add the sliced vegetable, add the hard part only and stir all the time until they are half cooked/just wilted.
- Keep the vegetables somewhere at the edge of the pan to provide free space.
- Add little bit oil if necessary then add the beaten egg on the left space.
- Stir quickly to get it scrambled then mix them well.
- Adjust the stove to high heat, add the cold cooked rice and stir quickly and press the rice with kitchen spoon or spatula to free the rice from lump. Ensure the rice are completely free from lump before adding the sauce in the next step.
- Add the chicken broth powder and stir quickly.
- Make a bit free space in the center of the wok, add 10 drop/2 tsp maggi seasoning directly onto wok's/saucepan's surface, until you hear the pan sounds "cho-es" :-). Stir quickly to mix.
- Repeat the previous step, now add 5 drops/ 1 tsp fish sauce and stir again quickly.
- Repeat the last step, now add the sugar and wait until the sugar melted then quickly stir to mix. You may observe during the frying process when the rice moisture are released by high heating, some of the rice grain appear to spring away from the pan's surface.
- Add the ground black paper, stir to mix.
- Adjust the seasoning, pre-check the saltiness before adding the salt because fish sauce is quite salty. Add the salt if necessary.
- Add the leafy vegetables part, cook just shortly.
- Last but not least add the fried anchovies. Serve hot with sliced cucumber and sprinkling with fried onions or whatever you are preferred.
Note & Tipp
- You can also drop the sauce on the top edge of the pan as long as you use a wok/shallow pan which allows the sauce having a direct contact with the pan's surface and at the same time the sauce flows downn quickly into the rice.
- But for adding sugar I suggest you to let it melted in the botton as described on the recipe. Do not add sugar to the rice to prevent bloated/moisted fried rice.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari