Nasi Goreng is one of the most popular Indonesian food and has become a worldwide known name for an Asian rice dish. This is one of our 30 Indonesian Culinary Icons.
“Nasi” means rice and “Goreng” means fried. In Indonesia Nasi Goreng will be served as a main menu. So please don’t be surprised, if you make a holiday in Indonesia and you come across a “Nasi Goreng” as part of your breakfast menu 😉 My husband used to laugh about it. Nasi Goreng …. for breakfast??!! ha ha ha. What can I say?? Typical Indonesian. We eat mostly rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-). Here in Western countries this is little bit different. And of course you can eat Nasi Goreng depending on your mood & appetite ;-).
- 500 g pre-cooked rice and cooled down
- 150 g chicken fillet, cut in cubes
- 2 pc egg
- vegetables if preferred( ex: grated cabbage, carrot)
- 1 pc spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp Indonesian sweet soya sauce / kecap manis
- 1 tsp tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 1 tsp salt
Spice for the paste
- 3 pc large red chillies, de-seeded, chopped
- 5 pc small red chillies / bird chillies (optional)
- 5 pc shallots, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp roasted dried shrimp paste / terasi (optional)
Condiments & Garnish
- 1 pc tomato, sliced
- cucumber, sliced
- kerupuk udang / shrimp chips
- fried shallots / onion
- Put all ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a Wok or big saucepan. (Don't add oil of just add a bit only if already added in a blender). Stir fry the paste all the time until you can smell a good aroma/fragrant.
- Add the chicken, stir to mix. Proceed until the chicken is well cooked.
- Add the grated vegetables if used. Stir to cook.
- Adjust the heat to medium. Add the cooked rice. Stir to mix.
- Add kecap manis, tomato sauce & spring onion. Add the salt to taste.
- Stir to mix and lift.
- Fry the eggs into "sunny side up" form. You can also fry as omelet and then slice it thinly.
- Serve Nasi Goreng immediately. Garnish with slice tomato, cucumber and kerupuk udang (shrimp crackers).
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari