Origin: Java Island
- 500 g purple eggplant/aubergine
- 100 g large red chillies, chopped
- 5 pc small red chillies / bird chillies (or more if like spicy)
- 5 pc shallots, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pc mid-size tomato or 3 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried shrimp paste/terasi
- 2 pc kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar/palm sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 200 ml oil
Attention: HOT & SPICY!! This is a variant of Indonesian Spicy sambal combined with fried Eggplant. Hmmmm…one of my favourite sambal ever. Easy to prepare and tastes soooooooooo good!! It's really worth trying 😉Tipps: Prepare the sambal at first then proceed with Aubergine. The peeled aubergine will turn brownish if let it stay too long uncooked. Add the dried shrimp paste just at the end of cooking process (before adding fried eggplant) if the smell is a big issue in your neighbourhood 😉Note: For you who can't stand/eat dried shrimp paste, please find another similar recipe from Minangkabau people or well known as Padangnese. The dish is called "Eggplant with Chili Sauce". Please take one which suits you best. Both dishes taste delicious 🙂
- Put chillies, shallot, garlic, tomato & dried shrimp paste in a blender or food processor & blend into smooth paste. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Wash the eggplant/aubergine, cut in cube & put aside.
- Heat 200 ml oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant till golden brown (take about 5 minutes). Set aside to drain.
- Let about 5 tbsp used oil, add the sambal paste & kaffir-lime leaf. Stir-fry over medium heat until sambal is well cooked and oil begins to appear on the surface, take about 5 mins. Stir frequently.
- Sambal is done when the liquid had evaporated & the texture becomes scrambled. Adjust the seasoning, add salt & sugar to taste.
- Add the fried eggplant/aubergine, stir to mix.
- Cook just shortly and remove from heat. Serve hot with rice.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari