Origin: Java Island
- 500 g purple eggplant/aubergine
- 100 g large red chillies, chopped
- 5 pc small red chillies / bird chillies (or more if like spicy)
- 5 pc shallots, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pc mid-size tomato or 3 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried shrimp paste/terasi
- 2 pc kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar/palm sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 200 ml oil
- Put chillies, shallot, garlic, tomato & dried shrimp paste in a blender or food processor & blend into smooth paste. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Wash the eggplant/aubergine, cut in cube & put aside.
- Heat 200 ml oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant till golden brown (take about 5 minutes). Set aside to drain.
- Let about 5 tbsp used oil, add the sambal paste & kaffir-lime leaf. Stir-fry over medium heat until sambal is well cooked and oil begins to appear on the surface, take about 5 mins. Stir frequently.
- Sambal is done when the liquid had evaporated & the texture becomes scrambled. Adjust the seasoning, add salt & sugar to taste.
- Add the fried eggplant/aubergine, stir to mix.
- Cook just shortly and remove from heat. Serve hot with rice.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari