Beef Soup Jakarta Style
Origin: Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia
- 250 g noodle, boil in hot water till al dente
- 500 g beef /brisket, diced
- 1 pc lime, save the juice
- 2 stem lemon grass, outer leaves discarded, bruished
- 2 cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced or bruished
- 2 tsp beef broth powder
- 2 l water
Spice for the paste
- 8 pc shallots, chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, chopped
- 3 pc candlenuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sugar or to taste
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- fried vegetable spring rolls (optional, if available)
- cabbage, shredded or lettuce leaves, finely sliced
- bean sprouts, the brown-ends discarded
- 2 pc spring onions, cut in 1 cm long
- flat parsley, chopped
- 2 pc tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pc lime, sliced
- crispy fried shallots
- Indonesian sweet soya sauce / Kecap Manis (if preferred)
Sambal, if preferred
- 10 pc small red chillies / bird chillies, boiled & pounded
- 50 ml soup
- salt to taste
Beef Soup Jakarta Style
- Prepare all ingreadients for the seasoning paste. Cut in sammler pieces if necesarry.
- Put all ingredients for the spice paste in grinding stone or wet mill and grind/blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil in the food processor to help the blending process).
- Grind the pepper with grinding stone and pestle.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the paste and lemon grass.
- Stir-fry the paste all the time until fragrant & well cooked. (about 3-5 mins)
- Pour in 2 liter water in a deep saucepan, add sliced ginger, beef broth & fried seasoning paste.
- Add the beef & bring over medium heat to boil.
- Once the beef stock is boiled, adjust the heat into medium and simmer until the beef getting tender & well cooked for approx. 30-40 minutes. (If necessary skim off and discard the fat that floats to the water surface). Adjust the taste, add salt & sugar if necessary.
- Soak or quickly cook noodle/egg noodle in boiled water, referring to cooking instruction until al dente. Set aside to drain.
- Prepare all the condiment and garnish ingredients.
- All ingredients for Beef Soup Jakarta Style are ready.
- Serving Method: Put the noodle and beef in a individual serving bowl. Garnish with cabbage/lettuce, bean sprout then ladle with the hot soup.
- Sprinkle with parsley, spring onions & crispy fried onions. Serve with fried spring rolls & sambal rawit if you like it spicy. Add kecap manis if you like it little bit sweet.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari