Source: Cahyanti, a friend as well as ex colleague
- 300 gr chicken fillet, cut in cubes
- 200 gr cauliflower
- 100 gr sugar peas
- 2 pc carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 pc spring onions, slice in 1cm length
- 1½ tsp chicken broth powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 750 ml hot water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch mix with 50 ml cold water
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
Spice to chop
- 1 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, bruised, finely chopped
One of our family favorite recipe. If you read this recipe, the name sounds like a Chinese food. But if you are in China and ask for this dish at any restaurant, I guarantee, you'll never find it or perhaps nobody knows or ever hear about it. It's a little bit strange, isn't it ??!! 🙂It was said, Cap Cay was created by ethnic Chinese descent who migrated to Indonesia hundred of years back. When and who has created this recipe nobody knows, but one thing I know for sure: This a simple but perfect recipe to warm up your cold winter days 😉
- Heat 1 tbsp margarine in a saucepan or wok. Sautee the chooped ginger and garlics over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, stir and cook until the chicken becomes harder and it's colour turns to white.
- Add the hot water, salt, sugar, pepper and chicken broth powder. Bring all over medium heat to boil.
- Add carrot, sugar peas and cauli flower. Cook until the vegetable becomes tender (make sure it's not overcooked).
- Add the spring onion. Cook shortly until just wilted. Adjust the seasoning, add salt or sugar if necessary.
- Add the corn starch, stir quickly and cook until the soup becomes thicker. Remove from heat and serve hot and garnish with fried shallots/onions.
- If preferred, you can replace the chicken with sausage, meatballs, squid, shrimp or mix match from them. Vegetables can also be varied to suit your taste.
- Some reference book suggest of adding oyster sauce into Cap Cay. Please add if you like.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari