Indonesian Vegetables Soup
Origin: Overall Indonesia
- 200 g cabbages, discard the ribs of the leaf, roughly sliced
- 200 g carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 200 g potatoes, peeled and cut in cube
- 2 pc spring onion, cut into 1 cm length
- 1 pc big tomato, sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp vegetables broth powder
- 1½ l water
- fried onions
- 1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- parsley or flat parsley and roasted onions for garnish
Spice for the paste
- 1 gloves garlic
- 2 pc asian shallots or 1 shallot, raughly pounded or chopped
- ½ tsp pepper seeds or 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
Indonesian Vegetables Soup
Indonesian vegetables soup or well known as "Sayur Sop" is a very popular recipe throughout the indonesian archipelago. In traditional markets, there must be a kiosk which sells "sop-sopan", a term used for combination of vegetables that make up the soup, generally consisting of potatoes, carrots, cabbage and flat parsley.Sayur Sop recipe is commonly the first recipe that parents teach their children to try for because the ingredients and cooking process are very easy. So the chances of failing is a quite slim 🙂Give it a try, maybe you're interested to try another variant of vegetables clear soup 🙂
- Peel-off (if necessary) and wash all vegetables : potatoes, carrot & cabbage. Slice and cut as requiered. Put aside.
- Grind pepper, garlic and pinch of salt with mortar and pestle until smooth.
- Spices are smooth.
- Add shallots, coarsely mash with a pestle or just chop roughly.
- Shallots are chopped roughly.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan over low heat. Saute the paste & shalllot. Stir continuously until fragrant and well cooked.
- Important tips: Don't use too much oil otherwise the soup will be too oily. Saute the paste until well cooked to obtain the best taste)
- * Add 1.5 liters of water and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Note: At the beginning of boiling process, you may see the spices floating to the water surface like foam, don't be panic. Keep on cooking, the spices will be cooked, eventually sinked and the broth becomes clear again).
- Add the hard vegetables first: carrots and potatoes and cook until almost done and tender.
- Add vegetable broth powder, salt and sugar.
- Add cabbages, cook until just wilted (approx. 2 minutes)
- Prepare & cut spring onions and parsley.
- Add spring onions and parsley. Cook just shortly and adjust the taste. Add salt or sugar if necessary.
- Remove from heat to prevent overcooking and serve hot with rice and "Sambal Kecap".
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari