Stir-Fried Tempeh with Green Beans
Origin: Java Island
- 400 g tempeh, cut in 1 inch cube/dice
- 400 g green beans, cut in 5 cm/2 inches
- 5 tbsp Indonesian sweet soya sauce / Kecap Manis
- 1 cm galangale, bruised or roughly sliced
- 3 pc salam or bay leaves
- ½ tsp pepper
- a pinch of sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- vegetable oil to fry tempeh
- 3 pc large green chillies, roughly chopped
- 3 pc large red chillies, roughly chopped
- 7 pc shallots, finely sliced
- 3 gloves garlic, finely sliced
Fried Tempeh with Green Beans
- Cut tempeh in 2 cm/1 ich dice/cube.
- Heat 50 oil in a fryingpan/skillet on medium heat, deep-fry the tempeh.
- Fry until lightly brown and half cooked (not so hard and crispy).
- Set aside to drain.
- Peel off (if necessary) & cut/slice ingredients for the seasoning: shallots, garlic, chillies, galangale.
- Heat 2 tbsp of remaining oil in a fryingpan, saute the shallot & garlic until translucent & fragrant.
- Add the chopped chillies, galangale and salam/bay leaves.
- Saute until fragrant & well cooked. (Tips: Add a bit salt immediately if the chilli's fumes causes you coughing uncontrollably).
- Add the green bean & stir all the times over medium-high heat until almost cooked. (approx. 5 minutes)
- Add the fried tempeh, stir to mix
- Add kecap manis and stir to mix. Cook just 2 minutes only.
- Add pepper and stir well continuosly to prevent burning.
- Add salt and sugar (if necessary) to adjust the taste. Serve hot with rice or as side dish for Nasi Rames.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari