Delicious Eggs with Chilli Sauce
Origin: West Sumatra
- 6 pc eggs, hard boiled
- 150 g large red chillies, chopped
- 70 g shallots
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 pc large tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- vegetable oil to fry boiled-eggs & chilli sauce
Eggs with Chilli Sauce
Balado is a popular dish which originated from Minangkabau ethnic group of Indonesia and now commonly served across the country, known as Padang's food. One of the characteristic foods of Minangkabau culture, it is usually hot & spicy. Compare to Javanese who like to have their meal a little bit sweet, Minangkabau people rarely add sugar into their cooking recipe, unless for dessert and snack ;-).This is the basic recipe for Bumbu Balado. You can change the main ingredient as you prefer. Ex: with aubergine/eggsplant called "Terong Balado". With deep fried chicken will be "Ayam Bumbu Balado" etc.Note: If you like spicy Balado, just add bird chillies into the paste. Have a nice cooking & enjoy 😉
- Put the eggs in a saucepan with enough cold water, 1/2 tsp salt and bring to boil. Set into medium heat, simmer for about 5 minutes until the eggs well cooked & hard. (You can also use eggs boiler as alternative.)
- Tap your hard-boiled eggs on the countertop to crack the shells & quickly shock the eggs in cold water for 5 minutes. Peel-off the skin.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a fryingpan/skillet on medium heat, fry the hard-boiled eggs. (Tips: Make around 4 lighlty (not too deep) slits on the eggs, to reduce oil's splater during frying.
- Set aside to drain.
- Prepare all ingredients for the paste: chillies, shallots & garlic. Pre-cut and slice into smaller part if necessary.
- Put them in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process)
- Heat about 3 tbsp oil on medium heat and saute the paste. Stir all the time until fragrant & WELL COOKED (about 5 minutes).
- The paste is done when the colour is getting darker & the paste start scrambling
- Chop the fresh tomato.
- Add chopped tomato and cook until tomato just wilted. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Adjust the taste. Add salt if necessary.
- Add the lime juice and stir to mix.
- Add the fried boiled-eggs & stir to mix. Serve hot with rice or as side dish for "Cassava Leaves Curry".
- Eggs with Chilli Sauce is ready to serve.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari