Mandurese Vegetable Pickles
Origin: Madura Island
- 2 pc carrots, peeled, cut in julienstrips
- 2 pc middle size cucumbers, discard the seeds, cut in julienstrips
- 50 gr french beans, thinly sliced
- 5 pc cabbage leaves, thinly sliced
- 100 gr beansprouts
- 10-15 pc green bird chillis (add if you like it more spicy)
- 10 pc asian shallots (replace with french shallot if not available, but cut in small pieces)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- vegetable oil
Spices for the paste
- 2 pc large red chillies, de-seeded, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pc candlenuts, roughly chopped or crashed
- 2 cm fresh turmeric or 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cm fresh ginger
- 1 cm galangale
- 1/2 tsp roasted dried shrimp paste / terasi (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pepper or 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
Madurese Vegetable Pickle
There are many varieties of Indonesian pickles, such as cucumber & carrot pickle, Shrimp & Vegetable Pickle from east Nusa Tenggara and many more.This recipe consisted of various vegetables and rich spices, with a bit touch of vinegar, makes this vegetable pickle so special. Have a try, maybe you like it 🙂
- Wash, peel (if necessary), cut and slice all vegetable ingredients. Set aside.
- Put all ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (If necessery add a little bit oil to help the blending process).
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and saute the paste. Stirring all the time until fragrant and really cooked.
- Add the sliced carrots, french bean and cucumber. Stir fry until the vegetables are half cooked.
- Add the sliced cabbage, bird chillies & shallots. Stir to mix.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and stir to mix.
- Add the beansprouts and cook shortly until just wilted.
- Adjust the taste, add salt or sugar if necessary. Serve hot with rice and Fried Chicken.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari