Fried Oxtail Soup
Origin: Overall Indonesia
- 750 g oxtail, trim and discard the excessive fat if necesssary, rinse in a cold water
- 2 l water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 gloves garlic, smoothly grinded
- 2 cm ginger, peel-off, bruished
- ½ tsp pepper
For the Sou
- 1½ l beef stock or water
- 2 pc carrots, peel-off, thinly sliced
- 250 g potatoes, peel-off, cut in a cube
- 2 pc spring onions, cut into 1 cm lengt
- 2 sdt vegetable broth powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 pc cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pc tomatoes, sliced
For the paste
- 5 pc asian shallots or 3 european shallots, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cm ginger, chopped
- celery, finely sliced
- fried shallots
- sambal (if preferred)
Fried Oxtail Soup
- Pour in 2 liter water in a deep saucepan. Add salt, garlic, ginger and pepper. Cover the pan and bring to boil.
- * Add the oxtail and cook on medium heat until the oxtail is well cooked and the meat becomes tender. If preferred you can use press-cooked cooker and boil for 30 minutes since the cooker begins to sizzles.
- Take the oxtail and set aside to drain. Discard the used water.
- Grind all ingredients for the spice paste with grinding stone or food processor until smooth.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan, stir-fry the paste all the time until well cooked & fragrant. Put aside.
- ** Heat 1.5 lt beef stock or water in a deep saucepan and bring to boil. Add the stir-fried paste.
- Lower the heat into medium. Add the carrot and potato and simmer until the vegetable well cooked.
- Add the pepper, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Adjust the seasoning. Add the spring onion and sliced tomato. Remove from heat immediately to prevent overcooking vegetables.
- Frying the Oxtail: Heat enough oil in a frying pan or deep fryer and fry the oxtail until golden brown. Set aside to drain.
- Serve the soup with fried oxtail while hot separately and garnish with celery and fried shallots.
- * Add the meat into boiled water then cook on the medium heat to preserve it's best taste.
- ** If possible use the beef stock instead of water to make the soup to obtain the best taste.
popular Indonesian recipes
“Thank You for visiting my site. I won’t bother you with my life stories LOL :-D. Just get the recipe, have fun while cooking and enjoy your meal!”
Endang SW Lestari